Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time for a New Wallpaper

When I drew the urinary tract wallpaper, it was as a superstitious/ preemptive measure-- sort of a celebration of the "god of healthy kidneys," since I have only one kidney and want it to function perfectly for the rest of my life. So far, the wallpaper seems to have "worked." Now it appears that the time has come for me to make a new wallpaper design, this time honouring the God of Patellar Cartilage. I knew I had lost a lot of cartilage in my knees (an MRI in 2000 confirmed this,) but now a new MRI shows that the cartilage behind my kneecaps is essentially gone ("stage three" chondromalacia.) Doctors all ask, "Did you have some bad injury in high school?" or something to that effect. "Nope," I answer. " *
Anybody else in your family have this problem?" "Nope."

Just bad luck, I guess. Nothing a good wallpaper design can't fix, though. I have to really, really mean it, for it to turn out good. The kidney wallpaper had a lifetime of fear and paranoia behind it.

The director of the gallery that shows my work is still waiting for me to make him a bronchial wallpaper to address his asthma. Looks like I have a lot of work to do (as soon as I finish my current project...)

* I was never an athlete. I was a furniture maker and wood shop manager: the equivalent of having been a professional "furniture mover" for about eight years.

No comments: